Thursday, October 20, 2011

Have Naturals Gone Mainstream?

Source
Naturals are popping up everywhere -- on national TV commercials, in magazines and now in America's top retailers.  I was in the sunglasses department at Wal-Mart the other day when I saw a large banner ad with a beautiful natural staring back at me.

Have naturals gone mainstream? I think so, but it depends. When it comes to advertising, it's a definite Y-E-S, with household names like Target, Allstate and PayPal using naturals in their advertising.

But, for everything else, not so much. In Atlanta, I see tons of naturals all day, every day. I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere else.

It's always a paradox. The creative powers that-be that control images and messaging on Madison Avenue just seem to love naturals. I'd like to think that it's because our kinks, coils and waves are unique and sets us apart from straight hair; natural hair is a unique identifier, because no strands are alike.


Source

Natural hair in the media is so popular that there's even a blog dedicated to it --http://www.naturalhairinthemedia.com/.

Yet, for all the "love" we get on blogs, tweets and commercials, there is a very real resistance to our hair in every day life.  Often, it's a resistance to wearing our natural hair from the very same people who look like us -- our mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, friends, co-workers and even strangers on the street.

For the record, I'm a "Do you, Boo" type of girl:  Whether it's a perm, a weave or natural kinks, it's their hair and I won't be the one caring for it. Do what works for you! I don't give sideye to those with perms or straight hair.  There are many short, relaxed styles that are the business. I'm a sucker for a chic, closely cropped and freshly cut relaxed hair style.

*shrugs*

To me, it's all about choices. Just like I don't want someone telling me to go get a perm, I can't tell someone else to be natural. The decision to go natural, even today with all of the products and information available, is still a highly personal one. When it comes to styling, it's a decision they have to be ready for.

Still, I'd like to think that, because folks today see more curly girls in commercials and in magazines that, maybe, must maybe, our perceptions about our hair will change. That we will become more accepting and comfortable as Black people about what grows out of our scalps.

Maybe it's too optimistic. I can only hope.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tenisha!

    Thanks for the shout-out. Your blog raises some interesting questions about natural hair and the media. I, too, saw the ad in Wal Mart for sunglasses.

    I am so excited that naturals are being represented! Like you, I want to believe that this means more acceptance (instead of a recognition that we're not going away).

    And you're right. Sometimes, the most vocal critics of my hair are people who look just like me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi @naturalhairinthemedia, Thanks for the comment. I love your blog! Hopefully, with sites like ours, the issue of natural hair acceptance within our community will become less of an issue.

    ReplyDelete